Last week started my series on relationships and how they’re related to leadership. The theory is that those who are great leaders have great relationships. Thus, if you learn the fundamentals of building great relationships you can understand how to become a great leader.
The University of Washington wrote an article about Healthy Relationships and identifies qualities in a good relationship. Of the 17 qualities, these are my top 5 related to leadership:
- Treat each other with respect.
- Feel secure and comfortable.
- Support one another.
- Can trust each other.
- Communicate clearly and openly.
- Let others know they matter.
- Build your reputation through character.
- Remember there’s no “I” in trust.
- View promises as nonnegotiable.
- Repeat the message.
– David L. Mineo
Where do you see the similarities between building relationships and becoming a great leader? Leave your answer in the comments below.